I'm getting asked for podcast recommendations and seeing a lot of people ask about it on social media (thanks Serial), so I thought rather than answer over and over again I'd just do a roundup of most of the podcasts I listen to at the moment. And yes, I listen to a lot of podcasts.
I listen to every episode
- 99% Invisible - A tiny radio show about design, hosted by Roman Mars. Beautifully crafted stories about the design of things big and small. Try this episode about Busta Rhymes Island to get started
- StartUp - Former This American Life and Planet Money producer Alex Blumberg has started his own business producing podcasts and is releasing fortnightly episodes of this show detailing the process of actually starting a business. Really wonderful. Start from episode 1.
- Reply All - The first show launched by the aforementioned company started by Alex Blumberg.
- Pitch - In the same kind of style as 99% invisible, but all about music.
- RISK! - Story telling show where people tell stories they never thought they'd tell. Very NSFW.
- Criminal - True crime stories, all self contained to one episode.
- The Media Report - Radio National's show about the media, hosted by Richard Aedy.
- QNN - 5 minute weekly update on the news from the LGBTIQ community. Produced by JOY in Melbourne.
- Free To A Good Home - Comedians Michael Hing (triple j) and Ben Jenkins (The Checkout) go through online classifieds and talk about the weirdest ones.
- Stop The Posts - Comedians James Colley and Nick Fisher talk about the weeks news by discussing the comments on online news articles.
- Bring A Plate - Rebecca Shaw (@Brocklesnitch) and Peter Taggart with a fairly unstructured comedy podcast.
- Jordan, Jesse GO! - Comedy podcast that is largely unstructured discussion with a guest.
- My Brother, My Brother and Me - Three brothers take listener questions and give them advice, plus try and answer questions posted to Yahoo! Answers.
- The Adventure Zone - The three brothers from My Brother, My Brother and Me, plus their dad play Dungeons and Dragons together. Takes a while to get going but I'm really weirdly into it now.
- International Waters - Pop culture intercontinental comedy quiz show.
- The Scrutineers - Election news and discussion. I make this so you should definitely subscribe.
I listen to most episodes
- All The Best - Radio features program on community radio. Produced at FBi, SYN, 3RRR, and 4ZZZ.
- More Or Less - Statistics show on the BBC and BBC World service.
- Radiolab - Science, philosophy, just general curiosity. Along with This American Life, one of the classics of American public radio.
- This American Life - I probably don't need to explain this one?
- Benjamen Walker's Theory of Everything - Hard to describe.
- Chat 10 Looks 3 - Leigh Sales and Annabel Crabb give news and culture recommendations and generally just chat. They talk about cooking a lot. It's a bit hit and miss.
- Don't You Know Who I Am? - Comedian Josh Earl hosts a comedy quiz show where all the questions are about the guests.
I listen to some episodes
- Radiotonic - One of the shows from Radio National's creative audio unit. Unfortunately I find this show misses more than it hits, but they have done some really great work too. Try this story about being gay, disabled, and looking for love on Grindr.
- Strangers - True stories
- The Truth - Radio plays
- Death, Sex and Money - Conversations that you wouldn't have in polite company
- Bullseye with Jesse Thorn - Culture interviews and recommendations. US-centric but Jesse Thorn is great at long form interviewing.
- Song Exploder - Musicians 'explode' a song and explain everything about the composition in less than 15 minutes.
- Throwing Shade - Feminasty Erin Gibson and homosensual Brian Safi discuss the weeks news for ladies and gays, with much less respect than it deserves.
- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - I've just started listening to this. Very long podcasts about history. Dan is a good storyteller.
- Kumail Nanjiani's The X-Files Files - I've just started watching The X-Files from the beginning and am listening to this podcast as I do it, in which Kumail Nanjiani and a guest discuss one or more of the episodes in great detail.
- Sleep With Me - The host of this show tells you a bed time story. It's really boring and really good at putting me to sleep. Several new episodes a week. I really like this.
I'm constantly looking for new podcasts, particularly good ones produced by women because my podcast subscriptions are too much of a sausage fest right now. I'm also always on the lookout for good stuff that's produced in Australia because I'm listening to a lot of US shows. So I'm keen to hear your recommendations!